Sunday, September 16, 2007

matruska's, sport and princess bride

I finished my first full week in Nizhnii. I still feel like the days go by so slow. The second day of language class was rough. I almost broke down and cried, it was last frustrating. Thankfully it got a little better. We have 2 teachers. I like the second one better. Our homework load isnt too fun but I guess that's how you learn! We had some folk singers come and visit our class. I loved it!

We visited a factory where they make what we call Nesting Dolls, crafts and such. The Russians call them Matruskas. It was pretty cool. It's been rainy and gray but for a few hours today it was sunny. Some of us visited a men's seminary where they held an orthodox service. We missed out on the skirt memo and were given a wrap by the guard at the gate. I enjoyed the service though.

We had Sport yesterday. That's what they call it. We played basketball and ultimate frisbee for a couple hours. I had fun playing with bball with the guys. Lucky me, I got to be on the team with all the Russian guys. Totally not fair. But I know it was a work out because today I am SOOOO SORE!! it's not even funny. And I think I tweaked my knee. Which is not good. This is the knee I had surgery on like 4 years ago and so it scares me that it's hurting me.

Tonight we watched Princess Bride at Harley's apartment. First time I watched it all the way through. Well almost. Still dont have my computer registered. My new friend Theresa is letting me borrow hers. We are sitting on the ground next to the girls bathroom against the window picking up wireless.

The Russian students have been visiting us at the dorms and having tea with us. They enjoy when we get the guitar out and sing songs. Everyone smokes here. We'll see kids that look they are 13 with a cigarette. It's pretty sad. It's already been pretty challenging and stretching in more ways than one. I just hope the days start to speed up.

2 comments:

Steph said...

enjoy it while you're there...cuz soon enough you'll spend all your days here wishing you were there. I wish i could talk to you right now...well i'm preaching tomorrow for class...it's video-taped...so if it's not too horrific, i might let you watch it when you come back...that's if i get to keep it. Well love you roommate. Keep truckin along, you're in my thoughts always. :)

Cubby said...

tea tea tea, sound like the social gathering of Mississippi. but they tend to load it down with sugar....lots of sugar...anyways. I hope that you have an amazing day. God Bless!
-Cubby