Thursday, September 27, 2007

“Another day another ruble”











My daily mantra has been the Russian word for ‘good’, pronounced horoshow. Both my teachers use that word incessantly. Plus it’s just fun to say. I say it in response to just about anything and everything. Even as a form of greeting. This last week flew by, surprisingly. The days are picking up and that’s a good sign. The past several days have been super gorgeous here. I don’t feel like it’s Russia. The snow is supposed to start showing up mid Oct. We’ll see about this. Visited the Russian circus on Saturday. Quite the show. Basically, the women were barely clothed and the animal rights within me got a little upset. The tigers were alright. But the bears….not a fan. There’s just something about animal cruelty. Dressing them in human clothes and making them walk on their hind legs, as if they were a human? I felt so bad for them. They’re supposed to be wild animals. Let them be wild. Just like the Tigers. Don’t tame what’s meant to be wild. That’s my high horse (no pun intended). Getting to know the Russian students more. I especially enjoy being serenaded before I go to sleep! A very funny, friendly and tall Russian boy by the name of Roma, sang to me and my roommate last night. Over the Rainbow was a particular favorite of his! Something I find interesting is that Russian students usually don’t like what they major in. They just do it because it’s easy and they can get a good job because of it. They also start college when they are like 16 and 17. And you can’t drive here until you are 18. So we got some youngster’s on our hands. The Babushka’s changed our bed sheets. Nothing that I would normally point out except for the fact that they are PINK! I couldn’t believe it. Some of the boys even got pink. That was pretty humorous. Today was just one of those days. Language was rough. But tomorrow is our Friday! We’re sightseeing this weekend in a couple different cities. I have to add that the Pirogies are A-mazing! Dorm life is fun but I tend to get cabin fever. I miss Seattle.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I told you that you would like pirogies!!! that's why i took you to the place in seattle :D i love you!

Cubby said...

SOunds like your having a great time, and what a beatiful place, I love the pictures. Your doing awesome! keep up the good work! pink sheets should always brighten your day....God Bless.
-CUbby

Alessandra Maria-Rene' said...

So how did your MASH game go? Vanessa and I are curious, something reminded us about it. :)
I appreciated the picture of your clothesline in your room. Vanessa said she had to do that in Africa too. Crazy. I'm so proud of you. I liked seing your gray sweater on there, it reminds me of you. I miss hugging you while you're wearing that sweater.
It's good of you to miss Seattle, it's a good place to miss.
I LOVE that you got serenaded by Roma! Man that's great. So he sang you multiple songs or what? Which other ones? That's so wonderful. I hope that I am serenaded in Bethel by an Eskimo man. ;) I love you to pieces. Your adventures inspire and amaze me. I know that Russia is seeing the love of the Lord through you!